The trip includes “Prep week” in Cape Town when you will be fully involved in preparing the boat for a big Ocean crossing (Food, route planning etc) - The crossing to St Helena takes about 2 weeks , learn to helm, navigate and trim from our expert and experienced Skipper, including the possibility of learning Celestial Navigation. This trip includes a short anchorage in Lüderitz, Namibia, between Cape Town and St Helena Island. Lüderitz is a historic, slow-pace-of-life, Germanic provincial port-town of fishermen - full of rich history and a welcoming community. We will stop for several days on St Helena island, exploring this isolated Atlantic paradise as a crew or alone in between re-supplying the boat before a fabulous return leg, routing south towards the island of Tristan Da Cunha. A true "Trip of a lifetime" which will live forever in your memories. - Only 6 places per boat - small group, personalised to your needs - we will contact you in advance to adapt the trip to your level of experience and needs. - Great for mile-building OR anyone wanting to experience a "Real" Ocean adventure. - Full Covid refund Guarantee, book with confidence You will be guided by Wavy Immelman, who has over 500,000 miles of Ocean sailing experience including Skippering the Clipper Round the World Race 19/20 edition. Aurora is a comfortable 49Foot cruising yacht, well equipped for even the biggest Ocean adventures.
Aurora is a beautiful Atlantic ’49. She’s comfortable and beautifully kitted out with 8 berths, so there’ll be plenty of space on board. She’s perfect for long trips. You’ll have your own berth.
Wavy Immelman will be your Skipper for the duration of the trip. He grew up in Cape Town and has been sailing these waters for many years. A RYA Qualified instructor, he has over 500,000 miles of professional sailing experience,. He was Skipper of the prestigious Clipper Round the World Yacht Race (‘19/20 edition).
The tour is split into 3 ‘legs’ - the 1st leg consists of a "Preparation week" when you will be fully involved in prepping Aurora for the passage, then approximately 5 days sailing to anchor in Lüderitz, Namibia. Followed by the 2nd Leg to St Helena Island. The 3rd Leg is the return. We route south towards Tristan Da Cunha, one of the most isolated islands in the world before heading East to Cape Town - approximately 3 weeks sailing to return.
Prep Week (Cape Town, with accommodation on board Aurora)
- You will be involved in victualling and all aspects of preparing for a long Ocean voyage – what to think about, what to organise in order to be both safe and comfortable – it’s all in the preparation!
- Get to know fellow crew
- Local area sailing to get used to life on board before the big trip
Leg 1 - Cape Town to Lüderitz, Namibia (approx. 5 days sailing)
- After a full safety briefing, we will head out into the mid-Atlantic, leaving the African coast far behind us.
- Dolphins and Whales will often accompany us, at least at the start as we transition into 'boat-life'
- This short leg offers inexperienced sailors an opportunity to get their "sea legs" before the long voyage to St Helena
Lüderitz, Namibia (approx. 3 days)
- a short anchorage in Lüderitz, a historic, slow-pace-of-life, port-town of fishermen - full of rich history and a welcoming community.
- this lovely isolated part of the world was founded by Germans, who were attracted to its natural harbour and later discovered diamonds close by, making it a mining town.
- Most of the buildings date from the start of the 20th century with traditional German architecture
Leg 2 - Lüderitz to St Helena (approx. 1 week)
- We'll move into a watch-system, taking turns to helm and sail with full supervision from the Skipper or first mate, with time in between for learning new skills, such as celestial navigation
- After 1 week (approx.), the mysterious, sub-tropical island of St Helena will appear on the horizon
- A warm welcome awaits us, with lots of interesting activities, supported by our friends at St Helena Tourism and the local Yacht Club.
St Helena Island (approx. 3 days)
- A welcoming, sub-tropical island that packs a lot to see into just 43 Square miles!
- We will connect you to local guides who can show you around this amazing place, including Napoleons final resting place
- We will also be preparing for the journey back
Leg 3 - St Helena to Cape Town (approx. 3 weeks)
- The route back will take us South towards Tristan da Cunha – this is a truly isolated spot, with a population of just 4,500 people
- We may stop off there if weather allows, but it is often impossible due to the conditions.
- Past Tristan Da Cunha we will head West and back towards Cape Town
- Arrival back in Cape Town by DATE HERE after an educational, memorable trip with new friends for life!
Rest assured you are always in the hands of complete professionals on the Wavysail adventures. We pride ourselves on the quality and experience of every one of our skippers.
Wavy Immelman will be your Skipper for the duration of the trip. He grew up in Cape Town and has been sailing these waters for many years, including sailing this route nearly 20 times.
His sailing experience is vast, having amassed over 500,000miles of Ocean sailing experience. He won the Govenor's cup and was Skipper on the 19/20 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. He has also solo rowed the Atlantic and spent many years sailing the world on his own yacht.
He is an RYA qualified instructor, known for his patience as well as exceptional standards of seamanship.
All food and drink (non-alcoholic) on board of ‘Aurora’.
Safety equipment including life-jackets.
Overnight accommodation on board of ‘Aurora’ including while in Port at St Helena. (you may also elect to find accommodation on St Helena and during prep week in Cape Town at your charge, if desired)
All mooring and port entry fees for the boat.
Sailing tips and learnings from Wavy.
Small group – maximum of 8 places.
Flights to Cape Town
Transport to the boat
Do I need to be experienced in sailing?
What's the cancellation policy?
What is your COVID policy?
What should I bring?
How adventurous is it?
What's included, and what's not included?
Aurora is an "Atlantic 49" - a beautifully kitted-out cruising vessel, based in Cape Town. She will be your accommodation for the entire trip, including while on the island.